Monday, January 5, 2009

WHAT THE BLOG IS ABOUT

I have had a great break over Christmas/New Year. Over that time I have had a chance to reflect on what this Blog would look like and what each entry would entail. I have to admit that I have struggled to come up with something that would make the Blog both interesting to read and gripping enough to want to write on a multi-weekly basis, if not every day. Yesterday, I got my answer.

My good friend, Pastor Pete, and I had coffee. Pete was one of my readers of the book before it was released. Yesterday's coffee saw Pete pretty much jump in and say how much he has enjoyed reading the book but wanted to pick my brains about how to actually live out the 17 Laws in everyday Christian life. To try and quote Pete - "How does the average Christian in the local church context live out the concepts of the book into practice?"

So there you go: there is the direction of the Blog, for the near future at least. No doubt, if you have come here, it will have been because you have read the book and are interested in discussing some of the themes therein. And, if you are like Pete, you are probably wondering how to go about living it out. As you would have picked up in my tone, particularly in the Intro and Epilogue, so do I.

SO... I intend to take up the challenge, just jump in and begin to live out/apply the Laws, and Blog my experience in doing so. My hope is that you will also share your experiences in living out the 17 Laws.

I do want to remind you though that in the book I make it clear that 17 Laws was never meant to be instructional. I said to Pete yesterday that if I had done so, I would have patronised you good readers by a) suggesting I know more about your context than you (which I do not) and b) taken away from you the joy and struggle of workin out how this looks and should be applied in your context. While I will be sharing my personal struggles, joys and so forth as I seek to understand and apply the Laws in my own context, I hope you too will use this Blog to share your stories also. By sharing together, I hope we can al begin to really get a grip on Followship together.

Looking forward to being covered in dut from the rabbi's sandals with you.

Mark G

No comments: