Friday, March 20, 2009

Law 4 and Law 5 in Practice REALLY HURTS!!

I have just returned from a 10 day tour in South Australia in which I took in a few churches, a few schools and a Young Adults conference in the Adelaide Hills, Adelaide itself and North at Port Augusta. During that time I delivered 5 comedy workshops, 1 keynote address, 3 church/chapel services, 2 English classes (on public speaking) and 2 full length comedy shows. I also sold out of books and CD's that I took with me, which was an absolute blessing also.

I want to publically thank all of my hosts during the time there - Karl Klose and the FUEL Team, Stephen Shultz, Stuart Traegar and Lisa Preuss, Catie Morrison and Bruce Kurtzer.

While I was away, I had a full day where I could rest, rejuvenate, be with God and spend some time working some stuff out that God was on my case about before I left Queensland. Some changes in the way the Flexi School (where I have been chaplain 2 days each week for the past year and a bit) operates means that it was going to be difficult for me to be able to keep speaking and writing. It meant I had a decision to make, but deep down i knew what I had to do...

In this current economic climate, fear is common. And I have to be honest, there were three occasions during the time I was away when fear hit me like a literal punch to the stomach. Nat told me that this is how anxiety attacks feel sometimes. I don't know what it was, but I do know that each time, my thoughts and focus were NOT on God in that moment.

There is something to be said for dieing to self. IT SUCKS! Sure, there is this thing called free will, but if I want to keep on in this irritating journey of followship, there are times when you consciously surrender to what you KNOW is God's direction. I'm not talking about making irresponsible decisions - I have tested and can say that I know for sure what the direction God wants me to take is. But that doesn't make it any easier on the will, if you know what I mean.

So, where does that leave me? Well, as of April 1 (yes, I too saw the irony and God's sense of humour in this!), I will be a free agent. My focus will be developing the speaking and comedy around the country and overseas (including writing in this blog more often, so keep watching and send others); working with my publisher on more books, e-books book production and other products; and continuing to develop further some of the other projects I am involved in, like the radio show and some DVD stuff.

This is dead set scary and yet amazingly exciting. And yes, you can help:
- Book me or throw me leads for speaking engagements/comedy shows. If you want more details about what I do, drop me an e-mail at markgladmancomedy@gmail.com - I'm even open to offering you a spotters fee!
- Buy my book or encourage others to do so, especially from Koorong. If I can increase Koorong sales, it can mean a berth in one of their catalogues which means more exposure.
- Pray for us as we embark on this journey.
- Sponsor the work I do financially: there are times when I offer subsidies and even free bookings to not-for-profits and some schools/groups that work with at-risk young people; and other occasions when I need to cover my own travel to do shows at events and festivals. Your financial gift could help me do this more consistently. Drop me an e-mail if you feel led to do this.

Most of all, pray. I am fully confident that God is going to continue to bless us and stay true to his promises that He made to us when I stepped out.

Thanks for your support. I know that this will be an interesting journey that will make the 17 Laws hit even harder. And that can't be all bad. Irritating, but not all bad!

Mark G

No comments: