Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter and the 17 Laws

Hey Folks,

A general thank you for your overwhelming notes of support over the past couple of weeks. It's been warming and encouraging.

I had a GREAT time at the Peninsuala Christian Outreach Centre last weekend. A big thank you to Pastor's Simon and Sandy Oswald and the congregation for having me.

With Easter roaring up, I thought it prudent at the end of 8 days in which 6 were spent on the road to pause and remember why we have a long weekend this weekend.

I note in the introduction to the book that Christianity is a marketing nightmare. This is why - although I respect that people do get something out of it (and that I am still out to lunch as to whether I would perform there if ever asked - I blame the Melbourne Festival as it is the same month) - I do have some concerns about things like EasterFest.

At the risk of sounding like a Basher (and some will suggest I, maybe rightly, I am) I find it hard to see how a festival about Easter at Easter can leave Jesus out of it's advertising and marketing material.

Yes, Christianity does not sell. We like to think it does. But really, lose your life and you will find it language is still regarded, even by Christians, as the language of those who 'can't seem to make it in the real world', or else the rest of us appreciate the person who can 'really do it in this way, although it's not for me...'

As I say in the book: when we hear Jesus say take up your Cross, we would like to smooth out the rough edges of the Cross, pad it perhaps, hollow it out to lose weight and put some wheels on the bottom. That way it becomes more palatable to others (and yes, even to convince ourselves).

Well, Easter is about a man who came from heaven to earth to show us the way God intended for us to live. As a result, the church people of his day (yes, that's what they were...) killed him by having him whipped, beaten, bloodied, bruised and nailed to a cross to endure a death by asphyxiation. And the same God, Jesus Christ, suggests that we be prepaed to face the same if we dare to really live as He called us to.

I reckon this would make a great topic for advertisers on the Gruen Transfer.

Truth is, Christianity is not palatable nor did Jesus ever suggest it would be. It takes raw guts to really follow Jesus. Easter reminds us of this fact.

By the way, if you do go to EasterFest, do yourself and favour and go see Dave Andrews speak. You will probably regret it, but it will shake up your life for the better.

Cheers and Peace,

Mark G

No comments: