Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On Fame and Humility: Law 12

Just a quick blog entry today - snowed under and have some stuff to write and do. Oh the work of a writer and comedian is never done...

During Easterfest, I have the opportunity to be at a special media conference on the work of Compassion. During that time, Grant Norsworthy from Paul Coleman Trio spoke. What he said was very profound:

"As artists, a major part of what we do for survival is self-promotion. Am I the only one who struggles with that idea in a lifestyle in which we follow Jesus who teaches us self-denial?"

Yesterday I finally (after 3 years) posted a clip on YouTube and on the MySpace site (go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jktiI-l51WE or myspace.com/markgladman to have a peek. If you go to the YouTube site, don't forget to rate and leave a comment...)

But this morning, I have pondered the irony of this: that the world can now see my face on YouTube which, I hope, provides some exposure in makets further afield than Australia; but that Jesus tells me to deny self.

Irritatingly, the Law of Denial pops into lots of stuff. Is it possible to reconcile this working in an industry that basicaly dictates your ability to eat is akin to the exposure you can get?

Following Jesus can be irritating indeed!

Cheers for today,

MG

No comments: